One of the biggest worry for every mom is to pack a nutritious and tasty lunch that her kid would love to finish up. Many time we wonder what to pack. Here I have compiled a list of recipes that has been tried,tasted and approved by Lil Angel.I will be updating this post as and when I add new recipes to the blog...
All these dishes can be prepared with ease or the filling for parathas / pooris can be made the previous night. Also the vegetables can be cut / steamed before hand so that it is easy to rustle up a quick meal.
Most of these dishes have vegetables in them. Be sure to add a fruit to the meal.
Idli - Pack with sambar/ Tomato chutney / Mint / coriander chutney/ milagai podi mixed with oil.
Carrot [mini] rava Idli - Pack with sambar.
Onion Podi Idli - Mini idlis tossed in milagai podi and sauteed onion. Can be packed as such
Sevai / Rice Noodles
Carrot Sevai - Home made rice noodles seasoned with grated carrots. Pack as such or with sambar.
-Nadar community style Home made rice noodles and a mix of vegetables and spices. Needs no side dish!
- Karnataka style home made rice noodles with vegetables and without spices. Pack as such or with sambar.
Dosa / Uthappam
- Pack this in a hot pack along with sambar.
Green Peas uthapam
- Pack this in a hot pack along with sambar.Add some grated cheese/ carrot on the surface for extra taste and health!
- Mini dosas shaped like coins can make eating fun. Smear the mini dosa with milagai podi
/ pack with sambar / tomato chutney.
Chapathi / Roti / Parathas
- Strips of Chapathi sauteed with vegetables . Pack with some Tomato Sauce
Bikhaniri Pappad paratha
- A Rajastani paratha with a stuffing of pappad and mild spices. Pack with Yogurt / a simple dhal or a radish curry[ All recipes are present in the above link]
Spicy Cheese Paratha
- Older kids will love this cheese, onion and spice filled Paratha. Pack with tomato sauce / kurma
Flavored Rice Varieties
Spicy Potato Rice -
A dish older kids would love. The spiciness can be adjusted to suit the kids taste. Can be packed as such / crispies / yogurt
- Colorful pink pulao! Pack with potato curry / vegetable curry / yogurt / raita
Simple beets and peas rice
- Non spicy version for lil ones. Pack with yogurt / raita / crispies / vegetable
- A variation from the usual tomato rice. Pack with a raita / yogurt / vegetable curry / crispies.
Purple cabbage rice
- Colorful rice that tastes good on its own or pack with yogurt /crispies / vegetable curry
- Flavor plus health! Pack with potato / beetroot curry / crispies
- Tangy carrot rice. Pack with yogurt / raita / crispies / vegetable
Ajwain Toamto Rice and Carrot Curd Rice
- For the curd rice, mix cooked and cooled rice with lots of milk and add just a teaspoon of curd to it. This way the rice will not taste sour when the kids have it for lunch and cooling the rice before adding milk makes it a little runny and not very clumpy.
Sesame rice -
The spice mix for this can be made the previous night and stored in the fridge.
Pasta and Noodles
- Kids will love this for lunch! Pack with tomato sauce.
Also check out the roundup of the healthy lunchbox event.
..I am sure you will find a lot more dishes that you can pack for the kiddo...
Labels: Recipe Junction