I love flavored rice dishes and I prefer them over the regular lunch too.For the second day in Blogging Marathon under the 'special theme' to cook from a partner's blog, I chose this easy rice dish Sandhya's space.
She uses a home made spice mix and it really simple and easy. Another thing about this dish is that it does not have onion and garlic yet it was quite flavorful!
Source - My Cooking Journey
Rice- 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Mustard- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Chana dal- 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves a few
Roasted groundnuts- a handful
Oil- 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
For the spice mix:
Dry roast these ingredients,cool and powder....
Chana dal- 2 teaspoons
Urad dal- 2 teaspoons
Coriander seeds- 2 teaspoons
Red chillies- 3
Desiccated coconut [I used Copra/ dry coconut and shredded it] - 2 tablespoons
Cinnamon stick - a small piece
- Cook rice as usual but make sure that the grains are separate.
- In a pan heat oil and add the mustard, cumin seeds,chana dal and curry leaves .
- Once it splutters, put in the capsicum and cook till the capsicum is cooked, yet had a crunch to it.
- Add a few teaspoons of the spice mix[see note below], turmeric power,groundnuts and salt.Mix once more.
- Add the rice and mix well. Lower the flame and let the flavors blend for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with crispies like papad / chips and with a raita.....
- I used 3 teaspoons of the spice mix. You can add a little, do a taste test and add more if required. Also if you have a few teaspoons in excess, store it in a air tight box and use it while making any other flavored rice dishes.
- Roasted cashews can be used instead of groundnuts.
Take a look at the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM #34
And here is a small virtual treat- Eggless Coffee- Chocolate Cupcakes-to all my friends and readers who have sent across their wishes and blessing on my B'day.... :)
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Capsicum Recipes, KLBRice, Rendezvous with Rice, Vegan varieties