When the dosa batter box is empty, the dish I turn to is Poori / Chapathi. With thousands[yes, 1000's] of varieties of roti/paratha/chapathi to choose from,my folks never feel that a dish is a repeated. A single or multiple ingredient(s) added to the basic dough makes a lot of difference and changes the taste of the end product. So am I not right when I mentioned we have 1000's varieties to choose from!
A few days back, when I was cleaning the contents of the freezer,I found some frozen spring onion.While in China, I used to make Bing - Chinese Spring onion stuffed parathas often.This time I put the frozen spring onion greens to use in the paratha. To give a twist to the meal , I added a spice mix and the result - Empty bread box and happy tummies :)
So this is my first recipe for this month's Blogging Marathon,Week # 3, with the theme, Indian flat breads - Blended breads...
I used :
Whole wheat flour - 2 cups
Spring onion greens,chopped- 1/4 cup
Pav bhaji masala - 1 teaspoon
Ajwain seeds- 1 teaspoon
Fresh thick yogurt-2 tablespoons
Salt to taste
- Take all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add water little by little and knead to a smooth dough.Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Pinch out small balls of the dough and roll into parathas.
- Heat a griddle and cook each side till brown spots appear.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with a side dish of your choice.....
- You can try using sambar powder / chaat masala / chili powder or any other spic mix instead of pav bhaji masala.
- Similarly use mint / coriander leaves / fenugreek leaves/ drumstick leaves instead of spring onion greens.
|Masala Spring Onion Parathas|
Baby corn peas masala
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Bread Basket, Flatbreads, KLBRoti, Morning Raga