Methi Mattar wara Chawaran | Fenugreek leaves - Peas Pulao

Sometimes the unexpected happens.Something of that sort happened today.I prepared this simple rice for 'Copy cat recipe' theme for this month's blogging marathon theme today noon.Lil Dude was crying to be held so I took a few hurried pictures and kept the plate of rice in the kitchen and was playing with Lil dude.Hubby, who had come for lunch and saw the tray with food and a conversation followed....

He - Have you clicked this one or is it waiting to be photographed...
Me- Done already....
He -[Silent for a few seconds..] OK then, serve me lunch and I will start with that rice you made with peas.....
Me- This rice not spicy so am not sure if you will like it..
He- I love this one..
Me- I am not sure about that. I added very little chillies in that assuming you may not eat it.And also it has kasuri methi..
He- Who said I won't eat this stuff!! I just tasted it[So that was the reason for the silence a few sentences ago!] and it was great.
Me- [all smiles] Really!!! OK , you can have the whole plate..

Just as hubby was having lunch, SIL tasted a morsel

SIL- Wow, this rice tastes so different. Its nice.
ME- .......Speechless....

So, I made another batch for MIL and SIL. Now you may be wondering why there was so much of fuss around this recipe.Married into a family that loves spicy food,I felt this rice will not be 'accepted'.I had prepared a small quantity to suit my taste but the rest of the ingredients made the recipe a hit ad everyone at home loved it!!



I used:
Recipe source - Ribbon's To Pasta's

Cooked rice - 2 cups
Kasuri methi [dried fenugreek leaves]- 1 tablespoon
Frozen peas - a handful
Mustard - 1 teaspoon
Garlic-2 pods, chopped
Green chilli - 1, chopped
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste


  1. Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard seeds
  2. When it splutters, add the chilli and garlic. 
  3. saute for a minute.
  4. Add the rice, kasuri methi, peas,turmeric powder and salt.
  5. Mix well and cook on low flame for a few minutes for the flavors to blend.
  6. Serve warm with plain yogurt and pickle / raita.






Hop over to the  Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#21

Bon Appetit...


Labels: , , , , , ,