This is one of the dishes that can be prepared in a jiffy.When ever there is some left over rice or we need a 'something' extra with a meal,this dish comes in handy. It is also prepared and served during the postpartum period where it is taken as the first dish of the meal.
Pearl onion is said to be a 'body coolant'. During the post-partum period, it is essential to keep the body cool. When this rice is taken as the first part of lunch, it is said to cool the body. Even a small amount of this rice is beneficial to health!
Pearl onion / shallots - 10 numbers, peeled and finely chopped
Cooked rice- 2 cups
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Gram dal -1 teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 teaspoon
- Heat oil in a pan and put in the mustard,gram dal and curry leaves.
- When the gram dal turns brown ,add the onion and saute till it turns light brown.
- Add salt and the cooked rice and lower the flame.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.
- Generally chillies are not added, but if you prefer a spicy dish, add green / red chillies to suit your taste.
- Pearl onions are best suited for this dish but if it is not available, regular onions can also be used.
Labels: Blogging Marathon, KLBRice, Rendezvous with Rice, Vegan varieties