Lil Angel has some crazy tastes when it comes to food. The 4 year old loves anything to do with rice. She begs me to serve rice for all the three meals! I want her to savor different dishes, flavors and tastes but she loves to eat rice all the time.One day I asked my Lil one what she would like to eat when it is cold and rainy outside. First came the sambar mini idli and then came an array of dishes that even included curd rice!!
So one day when she was back from school, she wanted some flavored rice and then some snacks.She specifically asked for the purple rice which I used to prepare for her when we were in the orient. Since I did not have purple cabbage , I used beetroot to prepare this easy breezy dish. Served piping hot with banana chips, I was showered with tons of kisses that made my day :)
Cooked rice- 2 cups
Finely chopped beetroot - 1/2 cup
Fresh peas - 1/2 cup
Sambar powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Channa dal -1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Curry leaves - a few
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
- Microwave peas and beetroot separately till done. Keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil and add mustard , channa dal,asafoetida and curry leaves.
- When the mustard splutters add the sambar powder and sprinkle a little water if the mixture is too dry.
- After a couple of minutes add the rice,peas,beetroot and salt.
- Mix well and cook on low flame,stirring once in a while for 8-10 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Serve with a raita / plain curd / chips...
- You can cook the vegetables on the stove top too.
- Instead of sambar powder, chilli powder, garam masala can also be used.
This recipe is for Srivalli's Kid's delight event that I am guest hosting this month with the theme Healthy lunch box recipes....