From the Kitchens of Tamil Nadu

Today I am taking you on a culinary tour of Tamil Nadu. Though I call Karnataka as my home town/ state., it in Tamil Nadu that I was born and brought up. I had served a small treat for Karnataka and it would not be fair if I did not do the same when Tamil nadu's turn came up!

Tamilnadu is the 11th largest state in India and 7th largest in population.This state has been the home to the Tamil People since almost 1500 BC.Since this is a rather long post, you can read more details about this state here so that I can continue with the cuisine.

Tamilnade is the house of several well known and lesser known cuisine like the famous Chettinad cuisine,Nanjilnaadu cuisine [Kanyakumari district],Kongunaad cuisine, etc. You can read more about it here.

Each cuisine and each district have their own methods and choice of ingredients that make the dishes unique and special. I have handpicked some cuisines from Tamil Nadu that are not so famous yet have a rich culinary tradition...

I will be serving...

Neeragaram - A rustic breakfast
Avaray Gaasu Uthaka - a stew of lentils and potatoes from the Badaga cuisine for Lunch
Ragi pakoda and Kachayam- Finger millet fritters and a sweet fritter from Kongunad cuisine for Tea time
Kothu Idiyappam - Minced rice noodles from Nadar Cuisine for dinner



Neeragaram - A rustic breakfast



Avaray Gaasu Uthaka - a stew of lentils and potatoes from the Badaga cuisine for Lunch


Ragi pakoda and Kachayam- Finger millet fritters and a sweet fritter from Kongunad cuisine for Tea time


Featured here - Kachayam,Ragi Pakoda and Coffee

Kothu Idiyappam - Minced rice noodles from Nadar Cuisine for dinner



Behind the scene:

The Neeragaram recipe was something that I have been wanting to post for a long time and finally made it for this event. I loved it.Actually, I made this just for me!It was really cooling and tastes great from the crunch of the onions and heat from the chilies.

For the Badaga recipe, I turned to my neighbor who is a Badaga.True to their hospitality,she happily invited me home the very next day I asked her for some simple recipe and cooked this for me. I happily clicked the pics.She also gave a half of the gravy to take back and we all enjoyed it with steamed rice.A huge Thanks to Rani Aunty!!

The Kongunadu snacks were delcious and the kids loved the sweet. We had the ragi pakoda with coffee. I now have another way to include drumstick greens in the menu...

The Kothu idiyappam had mixed reactions. I felt it was little odd to have masala in the idyappam as I am used to the lemon and curd versions.Hubby and MIL however felt it was good.The kids refused to eat it! They preferred the plain ones with milk and sugar.

Hope you enjoyed the culinary tour of Tamil Nadu..See you tomorrow with another dish from another state...



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 39


An InLinkz Link-up

Bon Appetit...


Labels: , ,