Bread in another favorite here. The kids love it as much as I do and there is a loaf present most of the time in the bread box. While the kids do love the simple bread-butter-jam or bread with nutella / peanut butter / choco-peanut butter, I wanted to try some savory sandwich.
I made this long back to check if Lil Angel would like to have this for her lunch box so that I can add one more dish to the lunch box repertoire.
Summer holidays are the perfect time to experiment with her tastes and likes/dislikes. I made it as a tea time snack,pairing it with Jal jeera. The Jal jeera was gulped down with a lot of praise But it was another story with the sandwich!.At first she was hesitant to try the savory sandwich and it took a lot of coaxing to take the first bite.And the rest is history :)
When ever I make potato masal / potao curry, I use that as the stuffing for the sandwich. It works great for the lunch box . I am guaranteed an empty lunch box as her favorite veggie, potato, is inside...
This is the third and final dish under the theme 'Mess Free Lunch Box' for the 34th edition of Blogging Marathon, Week 1.
Butter - to toast
For the stuffing
Potato-2, boiled , peeled and crumbled
Onion-1, small, chopped
Mustard- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Red chili powder- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Ginger garlic paste- 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - a few
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard, cumin.
- When it splutters, add the onion, ginger garlic paste and curry leaves.Saute till the onions are soft.
- Put in the chili powder, turmeric powder and mix.
- Add the crumbled potato and salt and a little water.Mix well and simmer for a few minutes.The mixture should be of spreadable consistency and not too dry or too watery.
- Remove from heat and cool before stuffing.
Apply butter and toast the bread . Place the filling between two toasts and cut across .Pack it up in the lunch box...
- If serving at home, you can apply a bit of tomato onion chutney on one side of the toast and then place the filling. It tastes great.
- If the mixture has a lot of moisture, the sandwich will become soggy.
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Ingbread, KLBMisc, Miscbf, Potato, Recipes with Bread, Snack Bar