While gathering recipes for Week #3 of Blogging Marathon 24.which I am doing with the theme Healthy lunch box recipes that also happens to be the event that I am hosting, I asked Lil Angel for suggestions and she said - 'No Idli, mummy,only rice'. I wanted her to try some other dishes to pack for the box but this remark left me baffled.
Yet, I took a chance and made this rava idli with grated carrots which she seemed to relish without any comments. So I took it as a 'yes' and am happily continuing to pack this once in a while.
I had seen this in one of my fellow marathoners blog and I remember book marking it. In the maze of bookmarks in my mobile and laptop, I was not able to locate the source. The recipe is from Kalyani's Blog. Thanks dear for letting me know :)
White Rava [Suji] – 1 cup
Curd -2 cups [or 1 ½ cups curd +1/2 cup water]
Grated carrot - 1/4 cup
Mustard- ½ teaspoon
Urad dhal[white,split] -½ teaspoon
Channa dhal- ½ teaspoon
Jeera -½ teaspoon
Curry leaves –a few sprigs [ finely chopped]
Ghee- 1 teaspoon
Roasted Cashew -2 teaspoon,broken into bits
Salt – to taste
- Dry roast rava till light brown and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add seasonings and fry till the dhals turn golden brown.Remove from heat.
- In a big bowl put in rava, seasonings, grated carrot, salt,roasted cashew bits and the curd. Mix well to avoid lumps.
- Let it soak for 15 minutes.[Use this time to prepare coconut / coriander chutney]
- After 15 minutes,mix again and check the consistency of the batter. If it is too thick add a little curd or water.
- Grease mini idle molds, pour spoon fulls of batter and steam for 10 – 15 minutes or till done.
Pack it up with coriander / coconut chutney
- If you prefer you can add chopped green chillies and grated ginger to the seasoning.
- You can also the rava idli ready mix. Prepare the batter according to the instructions on the pack and add grated carrots to the batter and steam till done.
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Carrot, Idli Recipes, KLBIdli, Morning Raga, SI, Tamil Nadu Cuisine