The dish which is a combo looked like a match made in heaven and sounded extremely delicious.So it was the best reason to try it out. The first time I tried it, I was bowled over. It was truly delightful with a cup of hot coffee.
Srivalli explains that this dish is a popular snack in Anathapuram district located in South Andra Pradesh.Uggani is prepared with puffed rice. Srivalli used long tender green chillies and I thought they are too hot to
As I mentioned earlier, it is fairly simple to prepare but the result is excellent. Let's see how to prepare this yummy snack which can also be had as a breakfast / dinner food as it is quite filling.
Recipe source : Srivalli's Uggani
Puffed rice- 1 large bowlful
Onion- 2, finely sliced
Tomato - 2, finely chopped
Fried gram dal / Potukadalai - a handful
Green chillies- 2, slit
Turmeric powder- a large pinch
Red chilli powder- 1/2 a teaspoon
Mustard -1 teaspoon
Curry leaves a few
Salt to taste
Oil- 3 teapoons
Coriander leaves- finely chopped to garnish
- Powder the fried gram dal and keep aside.
- Soak the puffed rice in a bowl of water for 2 minutes and squeeze out the water.[ If the puffed rice is soaked for too long, the dish becomes soggy].Transfer to another bowl.
- Add the gram powder and mix well. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard, curry leaves and green chillies.
- When the mustard pops, add the onion and saute till translucent.
- Next add the tomato,turmeric powder, chilli powder and a little salt and mix well.Cook till the tomato is soft.
- Add the puffed rice and mix well.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and serve garnished with coriander leaves and hot bajjis on the side.
For the bajji I used
Recipe source :Srivalli's Mirapakaya Bajji
Banana peppers - 6
Gram flour- 1/2 a cup
Rice flour - 1/4 cup
Cumin powder- 2 tablespoons
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
Finely chopped onions and coriander leaves for garnishing
A little lemon juice
- Wash the banana peppers and make a slit in the center. The talk should be intact.Remove seeds.
- In a bowl, mix the gram flour, rice flour and salt. Add water little by little and make a batter of coating consistency free of lumps.Keep aside
- Mix cumin powder and salt.
- Stuff a little of this into the slit peppers.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- When it is hot, dip each banana pepper into the batter and fry till golden brown.
- Drain with a slotted spoon.
- Make a slit in the center of the prepared bajji.
- Top it with onion and coriander leaves.
- Drizzle a few drops of lemon juice and serve immediately with Uggani.
Isn't this a perfect pair!!!!
Sending this crispy bajji to Krithi who is hosting Serve it - Fried event.
More puffed rice recipes
Bhel Puri- Mumbai street snack
Sprouts Veggies Bhel- A healthy salad
Bhadang - A crunchy Maharastrian snack
Masal Pori - Spicy puffed rice
Mandakki Usli - An easy snack from Karnataka
Susheela -A non fussy snack with veggies.
This day That year...
2010 - Sundried Rice Crisps
2009 - Posted the roundup for Let's go nuts event - Coconut