I remembered seeing this recipe in Nupur's blog - One Hot Stove.It looked somewhat similar to the Masal Pori that I often make with a few changes. I prepared Nupur's version for Flavors of Maharasthtra hosted here.
I used :
Puffed rice - 4 cups
Roasted peanuts- a handful
Roasted gram - a handful [I added it by force of habit]
Raisins - a handful
Curry leaves- a few
Garlic- 4 cloves, lightly crushed
Mustard seeds -1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Red chili powder - 1 teaspoon
Sugar - 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Store in air tight container if not serving immediately.
- In a large pan, heat oil
- Add mustard, cumin seeds, curry leaves
- When the cumin and mustard crackle, add garlic and saute for a minute
- Add the turmeric powder , red chili powder, sugar and salt and saute for a few seconds.
- Put in the puffed rice,roasted groundnut, roasted gram dal and stir well to mix.Keep stirring till the puffed rice is well coated with the spices.
- Remove from heat and cool
- Serve as a snack with tea / coffee
Labels: Snack Bar, Vegan varieties