When Susheela came home...

I had plans of inviting Susheela for tea today.I just made a hint and everyone including lil angel were looking forward to meet her.

At teatime she did arrive ,very quietly that no one even noticed her.I introduced her to my family and everyone were awestruck by her beauty.Clad in yellow she was a real stunner!

Well.... then..... Do you know what we did??We waited no further,we savored every bit for she tasted as lovely as she looked.

Gosh!!Don't look at me like that.Susheela is not a lady as you are thinking,but a snack served in Maharastra.

Susheela/sushila is a popular snack in Maharastra made from puffed rice or Kurmure / Murmure[in marathi]/Pori[Tamil]/Borugulu or Mora moraalu [Telugu]/mur mure[hindi].

Pori is to rice as popcorn is to corn.We usually have it as such[ mixed with a little roasted gram and groundnuts] as our favorite time pass snack.Today I planned to make this dish when I heard a vendor selling Pori go past our street.I do get Pori in China but it is sweet and I don't prefer it.Since I am in India now,I saw this as a chance to savor it before I leave to my place.

Coming to the preparation,as I always say,this is a pretty simple dish and a non fussy one too.Ready in few minutes its a tasty snack for kids and adults.This is the first time I am preparing this and it was a success.Everyone loved it and I am sure to make it again.




You need :

Puffed rice/Pori - 5 cups
Onion-1 finely chopped
Tomato-1 finely chopped
Potato-1,finely chopped and boiled
Groundnuts-5 tablespoons
Green chillies-2,slit
Turmeric powder-1/4 teaspoon
Curry leaves a few
Oil-2 teaspoons
Mustard-1 teaspoon
Jeera-1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Lemon juice to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish
  1. Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard and jeera.
  2. When it splutters,add the onion,curry leaves,green chillies and cook till onion is transparent.
  3. Put in tomato,turmeric,salt and cook for a minute.
  4. Meanwhile put the puffed rice in a colander.Pour a mug of water over it and give a quick rinse.
  5. Let the water drain for a minute.
  6. Put this into the pan along with the cooked potato,groundnuts, and mix well.
  7. Cover,simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
  8. Remove from heat and serve sprinkling lemon juice over it, garnished with coriander leaves.



Updated

My dear friend Nivedita mentioned that this is called Susala and is a famous dish in North Karnataka .Check out her version here

Sending this lovely lady to grace-

1.RCI Mumbai.Lakshmi Venkatesh of Kitchen chronicles has chosen Mumbai food for this months edition of RCI.Regional cuisine of India or RCI is an event started by Lakshmi Krishnan of Veggie cuisine which glorifies the rich culinary treasures of all parts on India.

2.Think spice event.Sudesana of Cook like a bong has chosen Turmeric for this months edition of Think spice.As you must be aware, it is a wonderful event started by Sunita of Sunita's world.

3.Food for 7 stages of life:Kids special hosted by two lovely bloggers Sudeshana and Radhika.

Happy cooking...


Labels: ,