In our hectic life style,we often need to look out for ways to make life simpler. One place that we need shortcuts is in the kitchen.Today's tip is very helpful to make gravy/ curry or dal at the drop of a hat, well almost.
Most of out gravies/dals and curries make use of tomato and onion that are either sauteed and used as such or added as a paste.This process takes somewhere between 15-30 minutes which requires chopping the vegetables, sauteing them,letting them cool and then grinding it to a paste.If all this is done ahead and stored in the fridge / freezer, it facilitates the preparation of a quick meal.
Here is what I use / do....
Ripe tomatoes - 1 kilo
Pear onion- 3/4 kilo
Garlic pods - 10 large
- Chop the tomato and onion roughly.
- Heat enough oil in a pan and saute onion, tomato and garlic till the tomato is soft.
- Let it cool.
- Add a little salt and grind the tomato-onion to a fine paste
- Again heat a few teaspoons of oil in a pan and put in the ground paste.
- Cook on medium flame till oil oozes out.
- Cool and store in a airtight container in the refrigerator.I usually freeze this paste in small containers.
- Usually I use pearl onion.You can use any type of onion for this recipe
- The ratio of the ingredients can be varied to suit your taste.
- Adding garlic is a matter of personal choice.
- Similarly this can also be stored without adding salt.
- If salt is added as mentioned above, adjust salt in the dish that the paste is used in.
- The quantity of oil can be reduced while sauteing. Oil acts as a preservative and hence can be refrigerated for a longer period.
- If using less oil, it is advisable to freeze the paste is small containers and use as required.
Labels: Basic Recipes, How To......, Vegan varieties