Karuveppilai podi/Curry leaf powder is an ever present thing in our home.Love to have it with piping hot rice drizzled with a tablespoon of ghee.The ingredients and the quantities used vary through each household.This is my moms recipe.
Curry leaves / Karuveppilai leaves-4 cups
Gram dhal/Kadalai Paruppu- 1 cup
Urad dhal[White]/Uluththam paruppu-1 cup
Toor dhal/Thuvaram Paruppu- ¼ cup
Peppercorns - 1 teaspoon
Red chillies-10 [adjust to taste]
Salt to taste
- Wash the leaves and spread over a thin cotton towel to remove moisture/pat dry
- Take 1 teaspoon oil in a pan and fry the leaves in low flame until the leaves becomes crisp and keep aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil and fry the toor dhal ,asafoetida till the dhal tun golden brown.Keep aside.
- In the remaining oil fry the other 2 dhals,chillies till dhal is golden brown and keep aside.
- When everything cools grind to a fine powder.
- Add salt and mix well.Let the powder cool a bit[It will get a little heated up while grinding]
- Store in an airtight container.
Labels: Cooking with herbs / flowers, Curry Leaves, Herbs, Magic Masalas, tiffinsides, Vegan varieties