A long , long time ago,when I wanted to make a simple but delicious gravy to go with rice on a lazy Sunday noon, I remembered this recipe on Sig's Blog. Since this had our favorite vegetable- Bittergourd, I knew it would be a hit at the table and sure enough it was.This gravy is a lot different from my usual method but we loved it.....
Recipe Source - Live To Eat
Bittergourd- 1 large
Tomatoes - 2 , large
Onion- 1, large,chopped
Tamarind paste- 1 teaspoon,dissolved in a little warm water
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli powder- 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Oil- 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Roast and powder
Cinnamon- 1" piece
Cardamom seeds - from 2 pods
Fennel seeds- 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1/4 seeds
- Blanch tomato and puree
- Wash the bittergourd, cut it lengthwise, remove the seeds and chop bittergourd into thin slices.
- Microwave the bittergourd with a little water till it is soft.Drain excess water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When it pops, add the onion , curry leaves and saute till the onion is translucent.
- Add the coriander and chilli powder and mix well.Saute for a minute.
- Put in the tomato puree, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Simmer and add the bittergourd pieces and the powdered spices.
- Add around half a cup of hot water, tamarind paste, salt and bring to boil.Add more water depending on how watery / thick you prefer the gravy.
- Cover and cook till the gravy thickens. If it is too thick add a little water, if it is too watery let it boil for some more time.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with steamed rice and pappads.
Other recipes with bittergourd
Bengali bittergourd curry
Bittergourd carrot kootu
Labels: Better Half, Misc Rice Sides, Sides for Rice, Vegan varieties