While many shun the infamous bittergourd,we love them.Be it crisps or stir-fry,its an absolute delight to serve them with a meal.This bittergourd kootu is one of the tastiest accompaniment to go with steamed rice.The best way to serve is to roast a pappad on a grill,crush it and add to the kootu before serving.
Before I go on to the recipe,a small reminder about the $100 giveaway.Take a look and comment on the giveaway post.
Here is mom's version:
Bittergourd,finely diced-1 cup
Toor dhal- 3/4 cup
Tamarind extract-1 tablespoon[thick]
Kootu powder-2 teaspoons
Curry leaves- a few
Turmeric powder-a pinch
Oil- 1 teaspoons
Salt to taste
Serve with steamed rice.
- Pressure cook toor dal with enough water till done.Mash lightly and keep aside.
- Microwave the bittergourd in a microwave proof dish.Sprinkle a little water and microwave on high for 8 minutes or till soft.
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard,curry leaves,peanuts,redchillies.Fry till the peanuts are roasted.
- Add the bittergourd,diluted tamarind extract,turmeric powder,salt and cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put in dal and kootu powder and mix well.Adjust the consistency by adding a little water if necessary.
You can roast a pappad on a grill or open flame, crush and add to the kootu for an extra taste.[Deep fried pappad is a big 'no' ]
- Microwaving the bittergourd reduces the bitterness.You can also use the stove top to cook bittergourd.In that case add bittergourd in step 3 .But more oil has to be added for it to get cooked and lose its bitterness.Simmer in tamarind water till the vegetable is soft.
Labels: Better Half, Kootu Varieties, Sides for Rice, Vegan varieties