Finally I have updated all the categories in the Recipe Junction page.I had wanted to update the page as and when I post the recipes but that did not happen. There were loads of links to be updated in the 5 categories and I am so happy that its all done now.....
Coming to today's recipe, its one that I has been in my drafts for quite a few months. When we were doing the blogging marathon, Pavani posted this recipe and I made it the same day! We love bittergourd and the new method of preparation was so welcome on our menu...
This is a Bengali recipe that makes use of poppy paste.The taste of bittergourd and poppy seeds paste goes so well together that you will surely love this side dish....
Recipe Source - Cook's Hideout
Bittergourd - 1,large, chopped
Poppy seeds - 4 tablespoons
Dry Red Chillies- 4, broken into bits
Yogurt - 3 tablespoons
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
- Soak poppy seeds in the smaller jar of your mixie with a litte water for 15-20 minutes. Grind to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix bittergourd and yogurt. Sprinkle a little water and microwave for 8 minutes or till tender. It should not be overcooked.[If there is excess liquid and you don't want the bitter tasting juice, squeeze and discard the liquid. This step can be followed if you prefer to remove a little of the bitterness from the vegetable. I did not squeeze out the liquid since we like this veggie as it is: )]
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard and red chillies.
- When it splutters add the bittergourd and saute for a minute.
- Put in the poppy seed paste, salt and mix well so that the vegetable is completely coated with the poppy seed paste.
- After a few minutes, remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish.
Serve as a side dish with steamed rice.
Other bittergourd recipes that you might like...
This Day That Year....
2009 - Potato Masal for Poori
2008- My first award
Labels: Bengali Cuisine, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side