Thakkali / Tomato Rasam

A few days ago,my pantry was in such a poor condition,almost lifeless....Important groceries were missing,I mean,used up.Toor dhal and tamarind were the first ones to get over.Then one by one the others followed suit.I had more empty boxes than ones with groceries.I was desperate.I wished I could walk down the road to the nearby store and buy a months stock of these missing stuffs.But in reality I could do nothing.The nearest Indian store was almost 500kms away and there was no way that I could go there.So I opted for the next way out-order them over courier.I called up the store who promptly directed me how to proceed and I sent them a mail of the things I needed and I put in everything from pappad,pickle to dhals and tamarind.Then ......no reply from those people!!!!

I felt so lost without my favorite rasam and I was actually craving for it.That's when lil angel asked 'Amma I want rasam rice with ghee'.I felt so bad that I could not fulfill even the simplest wish of my lil one.There wasn't even an Indian neighbor from whom I can borrow some groceries.I generally don't borrow stuffs but that day I was desperate to make rasam.

So I just sat there thinking what to do when I saw Divya's Tomato rasam and I immediately set out to make it.After a long time we relished rasam sans dhal and tamarind..Thanks for sharing such an easy recipe Divya!!

I made very few changes in the recipe and the original recipe can be found here

I used:

Tomatoes - 3
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Green chillies - 2
Garlic - 2 cloves
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves - a few
Black peppercorns - 1/2 a teaspoon

Rasam powder- 1 teaspoon

Seasoning

Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Dried red chillies - 3
Curry leaves few
Oil - 1 teaspoon

Salt to taste

Coriander leaves to garnish

  1. Grind together pepper,green chillies,garlic,curry leaves and jeera into a coarse paste adding a little water.
  2. Drop the tomatoes in boiling water .Simmer till the skin peels out.Remove the skin and puree the tomato.Reserve the water used for blanching.
  3. In a pan heat oil and put in the seasonings.
  4. When they crackle,add the ground paste and saute for a minute on low flame.
  5. Put in the pureed tomato,blanched water,turmeric powder,rasam powder and salt.Bring to a boil.
  6. Remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves
Serve hot with steamed rice and a dollop of ghee....





Other Rasam recipes @ Seduce Your Tastebuds.....

Rasam -Mom's style
Lemon rasam
Poondu/Garlic rasam
Mil's instant rasam

Bon appetit...

Labels: , ,