My lunch would not be complete it there is no Saaru[Rasam] especially if it is prepared by mom! Last week I had got a couple of lemons and the weather was not very encouraging to prepare lemonade so I made a piping hot the dish that uses lemon!Yes, in Saaru!!!
Cooked toor dhal-1/2 a cup
Tomato-1,blanched and mashed
Rasam powder - 2 teaspoon
Lemon juice - to taste
Turmeric power-a pinch
Salt to taste
Ghee-1 teaspoons[Vegans can use oil]
Green chillies-2 slit
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Curry leaves a few
Coriander leaves to garnish
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice.
- Heat a pan and put in the cooked toor dhal,mashed tomato,salt,turmeric powder,rasam powder and water to get the desired consistency and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or it the surface gets frothy.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish.
- After two minutes add the lemon juice.
- Heat ghee/oil in a small pan and put in the seasonings.
- When the mustard and jeera crackle pour over the rasam.Mix.
It is better not to reheat this too often as the taste will change[bitter].
Labels: Better Half, Rasam Varieties, Slurpy soups, Vegan varieties