Saaru / Rasam RM # 2

Today was an exceptionally cold day...It was raining and the winds almost howling..Looking out of my kitchen window,the sights didn't inspire me to prepare 'Baingan Raita' or the brinjal raita that I had originally planned to post as a part of RM #2 ..Of course I love raita but no one else in my home would even take a look at it today [or thats what I thought.]

Moreover the weather made me crave for something warm and comforting.All I could think of piping hot saaru / rasam over a bowl of warm rice and a little bit of ghee..I was drooooooling....Mom makes the best rasam and I could just drink it anytime.I made sure she prepared rasam powder for me,coz I still feel I can't get the same taste of saaru even though I prepare the powder as per her measurement.The aroma of seasoning piping hot rasam is enough to set your tummy rumbling.So I set to prepare saaru....Here is the recipe.

You need:

Toor dhal-1/2 cup
Tomato - 1 large
Rasam powder-1 1/2 teaspoons
Tamarind-small lemon size
Asafoetida-a pinch
Curry leaves-a few
Coriander leaves-1 tablespoon ,finely chopped
Salt- to taste

Seasoning:

Ghee-1 teaspoon
Mustard-1/2 teaspoon
Jeera-1/2 teaspoon

1.Pressure cook dhal keep aside.Blanch tomato.
2.Make a thick extract of tamarind and take 5 tablespoons of it in a heavy bottom vessel.
3.Put in rasam powder,curry leaves and asafoetida and blanched and mashed tomato[without skin],salt
4.Let it boil for 5 minutes.
5.Mash dhal and pour into the tamarind mixture.
6.Add a little water if it is too thick.
7.Let it boil ,stir once or twice and boil till foam arises.
8.Make sure that the foam does not boil over coz the yumm taste likes in that foamy part.
9.Remove from heat.
10.Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
11.Heat ghee in a small kadai and when hot put in jeera and mustard
12.When they crackle remove from heat and pour over the rasam
Serve hot with rice and a dollop of ghee....





Check out my team mates on RM # 2 day 23

1) DK 2) Siri 3) Srivalli 4) Ranji 5)PJ [That's me]6)Curry Leaf 7)Medha 8)Priya 9)Bhawna 10)Raaji 11)Ruchii
12)Anu 13)Kamala 14)Roopa 15)Divya Kudua 16)Rekha 17)Divya M 18)Lakshmi 19)Raaga 20)Lakshmi Venkatesh 21)Sripriya22)Viji 23)Kamalika24)Pavani25)Karuna26)Roochi

Labels: , ,