If you had read my event announcement -Who's Gonna cook for me???
,then you will probably remember that a 'rasam' inspired me to host that event...
Here is the instant rasam that my MIL lovingly prepared for me...
Ripe Tomatoes-2 medium sized
Tamarind extract-1 cup
Coriander leaves to garnish
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds-1 teaspoon
Jeera/Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
- Blanch tomatoes,peel skin and mash the pulp roughly.
- Put this into a bowl and put in the tamarind extract.
- Check the taste .If you feel the tamarind extract is too sour,add water till it suits your taste.Keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Put in the mustard,jeera and wait till it splutters.
- Then add asafoetida powder,the minced garlic and cook till it garlic turns brown.
- Add the tamarind extract+tomato pulp mixture,salt,rasam powder and stir well.
- Wait till it comes to a rolling boil ,simmer for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
This tasted so good on that cold winter noon that I can still feel its taste when I think about it even now.
This inspirational dish is my entry for my event - 'Whoz Gonna Cook For Me???
Labels: Better Half, Rasam Varieties, Slurpy soups, Vegan varieties