As with any South Indian family we too love our share of idly and dosa.Since the idli/dosa batter takes longer to grind and ferment,I prefer flour based dosas as they can be whipped up in a jiffy.
One such day when we were 'craving' for dosa,I found that the pantry shelf had jars with around 1/4 cup of flour in each jar!So what did I do?Put them all together and made this dosa!Very simple!!
Buckwheat flour-1/4 cup
Whole wheat flour-1/2 a cup
Maida -1/4 cup
Rice flour -less than 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
- In a large bowl put in all the flours and salt and mix well.
- Add water little by little to make a smooth batter of flowing consistency.
- Heat a griddle and pour a ladleful of batter and spread lightly.
- Cover and cook.Drizzle oil if required.
- When the edges leave the sides of the griddle,flip over and cook till light brown.
You can change the flour ratio to your choice.We liked ours thick and soft.
We had this with tomato sesame chutney.Since I had no time to click a separate pic ,here is the recipe for that in the same post.
Though this chutney looks like tomato onion chutney,it has a nutty flavor from the sesame seeds.
Ripe tomatoes- 3,large, chopped
Roasted sesame seeds[white]-2 tablespoons
Urad dhal-1 tablespoon
Tamarind paste-1 teaspoon
Mustard-1/2 a teaspoon
Cumin seeds-1/2 a teaspoon
Curry leaves-a few
Serve with a breakfast of your choice.
- Heat oil in a pan and put in urad dhal and red chillies and fry till dhal turns brown.Remove the dhal and red chillies and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil saute green chillies for a minute and keep aside.
- In the same pan put in tomatoes and cook till soft and water almost evaporates.It will take around 10 minutes on medium flame..Turn off heat.
- Grind together dhal,redchilli,sesame seeds till they become a coarse powder
- Put in tomato,tamarind extract,green chilli ,salt and blend to a smooth paste adding a little water.
- Remove to a serving vessel.
- Heat a little oil in a small pan and put in mustard,jeera and curry leaves.
- When they crackle and curry leaves crisp,pour over the chutney and mix well.
Sending this tasty tomato-sesame chutney to Priya's Cooking with seeds-Sesame seed event.
This breakfast is also being shipped off to to Srivalli's Wholesome breakfast event.
Other dosa varieties
Wheat flour dosai
Other tomato based side dishes to go with dosa
Tomato onion chutney
Tomato onion chutney with lentils
Tomato chutney # 1
Tomato chutney # 2
Labels: Dosa Varieties, Morning Raga, Sesame Seeds, SI, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side