I was inspired to prepare this dish after I saw a moong dosa recipe in Tarla dalal’s site. As with every recipe, I have changed the dish to suit my taste.
Dosa/dosai is the Indian version of pancake that can be made with a variety of combination's of rice and lentils.This green dosai is prepared with moong dhal.The original recipe did not have red chillies but I have added a few for flavor.
Whole moong bean-2 cups
Red chillies-10 [Omit or adjust to taste]
Salt to taste
1. Soak moong bean,rice and red chillies overnight.
2. Drain the water and wash a couple of times.
3. Grind to a ‘not-so-smooth’ batter adding little water. It should be of pouring consistency.
4. Add salt and mix well.
5. Let it ferment for around 5 hours.[Around 8 - 10 hours if you live in a very cold place]
6. Heat a griddle and pour a ladleful and spread to a circle.
7. Drizzle oil around the edges if needed.
8. When the edges leave the griddle, flip them over and cook till light brown.
9. Serve hot with sambar and chutney of your choice.
If the dosai sticks to the griddle, remove the pieces of dosai and wash the griddle well. Heat it on low flame and pour ½ a teaspoon oil in the centre and spread it all over the griddle using ½ an onion (the cut surface of the onion in contact with the griddle).Then pour the batter and spread to a circle. Cover and cook for a few minutes till the edges leave the griddle and flip it over.Cook uncovered till done. Repeat the same for the remaining batter.
Labels: Dosa Varieties, Morning Raga, SI, Split Moong Dal Recipes, Vegan varieties