I made loads of these when I was in China. Hubby dear used to invite his colleagues – both Indians and Chinese for dinner and I loved to include masala dosa as one of the recipes in the menu. Easy to prepare and yummy to chomp, it always reminds me of home. There are numerous variations which include spreading spicy powder or chutneys before spreading the masal.
For dosa batter :
Rice -5 cups
Urad dhal [White, Whole] – 3/4 cup
Fenugreek seeds – 2 teaspoons.
Salt – to taste
1. Soak rice and urad dhal and fenugreek in 2 separate containers for at least 5-6 hours.
2. Rinse and drain the water and grind the urad dhal + fenugreek first adding little water to a fine paste.
3. Dish it out
4. Grind rice with a little water.
5. Dish it out into the urad dhal paste and mix well adding salt.
6. Let it ferment for 5 hours.
7. When the batter has risen mix again
Boiled & mashed potatoes- ½ a kilo
Tomato, finely chopped – 1
Onion, finely chopped – 1
Coriander leaves, finely chopped – 2 teaspoons
Curry leaves, chopped – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Chilli powder – 2 teaspoons
Oil – 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Jeera – 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard and jeera.
2. Once it splutters add curry leaves, onions and fry till onions turn translucent.
3. Add tomatoes and fry till mushy.
4. Add the boiled and mashed potatoes and mix well.
5. Next add Turmeric, chilli powder and salt.
6. Finally add coriander leaves and mix and remove from heat.
7. If the masal is too crumbly add a little bit of water to get the spreadable consistency.
To assemble a masala dosa :
1. Check the consistency of the batter.The trick is getting it just right- not too watery /not too thick.
2. Heat a griddle and pour a ladleful of batter and spread it in a thin circle.
3. Drizzle oil and let it brown on both the sides.
4. Spread the masal on one half and fold in the other half.
5. Serve hot with chutney and sambar.
Check-out some interesting facts about masala dosa
Labels: Dosa Varieties, Morning Raga, Potato, SI, Vegan varieties