I haven't baked anything savory except Bialys that I made for Aparna's We Knead To Bake.It's mostly the sweet stuff that is preferred by the kids and that is what gets baked. I found this recipe on Litebite blog and it sounded so much like vegetable upma in a baked avatar.
I am not a huge fan of upma but I do eat it when I prepare for the 'upma-loving' hubby. But it is definitely not my favorite dish.I liked the texture of the baked version so thought it will taste better and tried it out.
Yes, it was good and the texture was great too! A side dish of curd was all that was needed to make it a tasty meal!
S - Savory Semolina - Vegetable Bake
Theme - Baked
Adapted from : Lite Bite
Suji / White Rawa - 1 cup
Whole wheat flour - 1/2 cup
Yogurt / curd, fresh - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Mixed vegetables ,finely chopped[except peas] - 1 cup
I used-carrot, capsicum,peas,beans, cauliflower,cabbage
Garlic-2 cloves, minced
Ginger- 1" piece, minced
Onion-1, finely chopped
Baking powder-1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- 1/8 teaspoon
Mustard -1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Oil- 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish
Enjoy as such with a cup of tea or serve with curd/ pickle for a light meal.
- Soak the suji in water for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile,heat a pan with oil and put in mustard seeds and cumin,
- When the mustard crackles, add the onion, garlic and ginger and saute till the onion is soft.
- Add the mixed vegetables and cook on low heat for a minute or two. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- In a bowl take wheat flour, baking powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.Add the suji soaked in water[including the water used to soak it ,if any], yogurt, sauteed vegetables.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan / any other baking dish and and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Bake in a pre heated oven @ 190 C for 40 minutes or till done. Insert a knife in the center and if it comes out clean, the loaf is done.
- Let it cool completely before cutting into slice.
- Add any vegetable of your choice
- Next time I am going to try this out with wheat Rawa and use sambar powder instead of chili powder.
Take a look at the Blogging Marathon page to check out what my friends are cooking in this A- Z series...
Previously in this series...
- Dates Cake
- Eggless / No milk / No butter!!! - Baked
N - Nannari Sherbet - Regional / Tamil Nadu
- Ice cream Falooda And Kulfi Falooda - Regional / N.Indian
O - Olo Kobi Bhaja - Regional / Odisa
Labels: Bakes, Blogging Marathon, cake, Other Eggless Bakes, Oven Fresh Eggless Bakes