When Srivalli announced that we will be having an A-Z theme for the blogging marathon , I started off with a list trying to fit in all the book marked recipes and those that I thought were very new and never heard of. Since I am fond of writing and still prefer to use a pen and paper to jot down stuff, I started listing my preferences in an old diary. Within a month, half the pages were complete and it looked like a mess. I kept changing the list every time I found something new and the list never got finalized. So the cooking and clicking got delayed.
Will you believe if I told you that I have changed the recipe even after I cooked and clicked for a particular alphabet? 'R' is one such alphabet which got changed just a couple of days ago.
Srivalli was so sweet to give a few of us a 'Baby on board' clause and she relaxed the theme count for us. I haven't been able to bake much these days since Lil dude really wants to check what baking inside the oven and I am so worked up trying to keep him away from the hot,hot oven!
So instead of stressing myself , I used the clause and did not bake that many dishes for this mega BM. A couple of days back, I got up earlier than usual and I had this cupcake recipe bookmarked from 'litebites' blog and thought I will bake it out.
As you might know, I love Ragi / Finger millet but these days I haven't really made any new dish with it.So I thought it will be great to try. This was baked way before Lil Dude woke up and Lil Angel loved this cake so much that she wants me to make more of these more often.
Generally, she does not like Ragi because of its color, but since this looks like chocolate and I have added cocoa powder, she never really knew what went in. Of course , the garnishing were all her favorites. It was only after she polished off a few cakes, did I tell her that the cake had Ragi! She did not mind it and continues asking for more!
R - Ragi Cupcakes
Theme - Baking
Adapted from - Lite Bite
Makes - 12 regular sized cup cakes
All purpose flour-1 cup
Ragi / Finger millet flour - 1/2 cup
Cocoa powder - 1 tablespoon
Instant coffee powder-1 tablespoon
Baking Powder-1 teaspoon
Baking Soda-1/2 teaspoon
Canola Oil-1/4 cup
Fresh Curd / yogurt - 1/2 cup
Milk- 1/4 cup
Choco chips / tutti frutti -as required
- Sift the ragi flour, All purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, coffee powder twice.
- In a large bowl take the curd, milk, oil, sugar and mix well till the sugar dissolves.
- To the liquid mixture , add the flour mixture and mix gently in circular motion.The batter will be a little thick at this stage.
- Pre heat the oven to 190 C for 10 minutes
- Line a muffin tin and fill each one with the batter, a little more than 3/4th.Sprinkle a little choco chip / tutti frutti on the top
- Bake at 190 C for 15-20 minutes or till a knife when inserted comes out clean.Mine took 18 minutes to bake, Be on the lookout after 14 minutes or so.
- I added coffee powder for the light flavor it gave. But it was not very visible.
- You can use any vegetable oil instead of canola oil.
- The cake was a little sweet for us.But the kids loved it.So adjust the sugar to suit your taste.
- To make it all the more healthier replace APF with whole wheat flour and use brown sugar instead of the regular sugar. You can also skip the choco chips.
- This can also be bakes as a cake in the tin of your choice.
I made this simple Nutella sauce as recommended by Sanjeeta in her recipe.Add a little milk to nutella and bring it to the consistency you prefer.Drizzle over the cake and indulge!!!
Take a look at the Blogging Marathon page to check out what my friends are cooking in this A- Z series...
Previously in this series...
- Dates Cake
- Eggless / No milk / No butter!!! - Baked
N - Nannari Sherbet - Regional / Tamil Nadu
- Ice cream Falooda And Kulfi Falooda - Regional / N.Indian
O - Olo Kobi Bhaja - Regional / Odisa
Labels: Bakes, Blogging Marathon, cake, Millet Mania, Oven Fresh Eggless Bakes, Ragi