Today we are starting the second week of Srivalli's Blogging Marathon and I have chosen '3 days of Upma'.Had this topic been given a few years ago, I would have easily and happily skipped it. Upma is not my favorite dish right from childhood, especially the suji / white rawa one.No matter how well mom makes it, I used to find some excuse to skip breakfast. Then priorities change once we get married and my distaste for upma had to come to an end.My better half loves any type of upma!So instead of making a separate breakfast for me alone,I 'learnt' to eat this dish.Now, I feel 'its not bad after all'!
So, from today,you will be seeing 3 upma recipes here .The first dish is with Oats.By now you would be aware of my love for Oats. I have also added a little wheat rawa and vegetables to make it tastier and healthier.
Oats - Rawa Upma with sambar , Iced Lemon tea
Quick cooking oats - 1/2 cup
Wheat rawa - a little less than 1/4 cup
Mixed vegetables,boiled- 1/2 cup
Onion- 1, finely sliced
Red chillies- 2 ,broken
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Urad dal - 1 teaspoon
Gram dal - 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves a few
Oil- 1 teaspoon
- Toast the oats,rawa separately in a pan till you get a nice aroma.
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard, urad dal, gram dal, red chillies.
- When the mustard splutters, add the onions,curry leaves and saute till onion is soft.
- Put in the cooked vegetables and add 1 cup water,salt and bring to a boil.
- Put in toasted rawa and cook for a few minutes, stirring once in a while.
- Then add the oats and mix well.
- Cook on medium flame till oats is cooked.
- Serve immediately with sambar / chutney of your choice.
- Toasting the rawa and oats gives a nice flavor to the upma.
- Add any vegetables of your choice.
- Increase the quantity of water if the oats need to be cooked for some more time/ the mixture is too dry.
- This tastes best when served hot.
Check out the other Upma varieties
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Morning Raga, Oats, Tamil Nadu Cuisine, Vegan varieties