After a break of almost a week I am back with a tasty and nutritious breakfast/snack.Poha/aval/pressed rice is rich in iron and along with it are the vegetables to add to the vitamins.
|Vegetable Aval Upma|
Aval / Poha /Pressed rice /Beaten rice - 1 cup
Mixed boiled vegetables-1/2 a cup[I used carrots,corn,beans]
Roasted peanuts-a handful
Curry leaves -a few
Grated coconut-2 tablespoons
Cumin seeds-1/2 a teaspoon
Gram dal-1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Salt to taste
- Wash the poha and drain.Put in a bowl and sprinkle a little water and cover and keep aside till it is soft.Check once in a while to see if you need to sprinkle more water and mix and let it sit till soft.
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard,cumin,gram dal and when the dal turns brown,add the curry leaves and green chillies,turmeric powder.
- Add the onion and saute till trnasparent.
- Put in the vegetables,poha,salt and mix well.
- Sprinkle a little water if it is too dry.
- Add the roasted peanuts and remove from heat.
- Serve garnished with grated coconut.
|Vegetable Aval Upma|
There are two varieties of Pressed rice - the thick and thin varieties.
If you are using the thin variety, wash the Pressed rice in a colander and use immediately.If you let it stand too long,it will get soggy.
If using the thick variety,wash it and put in a vessel.Sprinkle a little water,cover and let it stand for 10 minutes or till it is soft.Then use it in the recipe.
- Coconut can be added along with the veggies instead of adding it as a garnish.
- A dash of lemon juice can be added after taking it off the flame for a tangier upma.
You might also like to to try out these varieties with pressed rice
Sweet Poha - A healthy and sweet dish that kids will adore
Kande pohe - A dish straight from Maharastra
Aval upma - The regular method
Curd aval - Delicious and cooling pressed rice in seasoned yogurt.
Tangy Aval Upma - Upma with a tangy lemony twist
Puli aval upma-Tangy tamarind poha upma
I am sure you are waiting for the roundups of healing foods and scrumptious delights from leftovers.I will surely post it in a couple of days....
Labels: Aval, KJ, Krishna Janmashtami Recipes Aval, Morning Raga, Vegan varieties