When I am bored of having the usual idli or dosa for breakfast, I turn to upma for a change.It is so easy to prepare and in granny's words this is South-Indian fast food!
Wheat Rava - 1 cup
Vegetables - peas,carrot,potato,cabbage[purple/green] - finely chopped and parboiled
Onion - 2 chopped
Tomato - 1,chopped
Ginger - a small pice ,finely chopped
Green chillies - 3,chopped/slit
Curry leaves - a few
Salt - to taste
Oil- 2 tablespoons
Water - 2 cups
Urad dhal - 1 teaspoon
Gram dhal -1 teaspoons
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Fry cashews and keep aside.
- Add seasoning to the same oil and when it turns brown add ginger, green chillies,curry leaves ,onion and fry till onions turn brown.
- Stir in tomatoes and add water,salt.The water:rava ratio changes with the brand.I use 2 cups water for 1 cup rava.
- When it boils add the veggies and wheat rawa and keep stirring.
- When it is cooked and the water is all absorbed remove from heat.
- If you like a tangy upma ,add the juice of half a lime after removing it from heat.
- Serve hot with sambar / coconut chutney.
Labels: Morning Raga, Tamil Nadu Cuisine, Vegan varieties