Buckwheat and buckwheat flour are some of the ingredients that are very new to me.Until I landed here, I had just heard about these food stuffs but never got a chance to try them out. I got a pack of both buckwheat and the flour and I first tried out recipes with it.My first encounter with buckwheat was a recipe that won me a cookbook!!Yes, its none other than Buckwheat noodles with veggies.
Did you know that buckwheat is no way related to wheat and is actually a fruit that is related to rhubarb and sorrel!It can grow in poor soil conditions and is native to Northern Europe and Asia.It is also called 'beech wheat'.
For today I will write on the health benefits of buckwheat.
An impressive list right!
- Buckwheat is good source of fiber.
- Since it is rich in insoluble fiber,it helps avoid gall stones and prevents constipation.
- It contains all 8 essential amino acids.
- It is also a good source of Phosphorus,magnesium,iron,zinc,copper and Manganese
- It is helpful in managing diabetes as it is found to lower glucose levels.
- It is also said to lower cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
- It has anti-tumor and tonic effects.
- It is a gluten free alternative!
For buckwheat poori recipe I used:
Buckwheat flour -2 cups
Wheat flour-1 cup + a little for dusting
Boiled and mashed potato-1[optional]
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Combine all the ingredients[except the oil] in a bowl.
- Add water little by little and knead to a smooth and stuff sough.If it is sticky add some more flour.
- Cover and keep aside for half an hour[optional].
- Pinch out small balls and roll them out into small discs.Dust a little wheat flour if needed.
- Deep fry the disc[one by one] into hot oil.[To check if the oil is hot enough,pinch out a tiny bit of dough and drop into the oil.If it springs up immediately,lower the flame a little and start frying the poori]
- Fry till both side are golden brown.
- Drain and serve hot with a side dish of your choice.
You can also savor this delicious poori with Potato masal
Similar recipes that you may want to try...
Labels: Bread Basket, KLBPoori, Morning Raga, Poori Recipes