In my previous post, I had written about 2 topics - fatigue and headache / dizziness.This post will see some of the other changes.
3.Nausea and Vomiting : This condition is famously referred to as ' Morning Sickness'.Though it is called morning sickness it may occur at any part of the day.Morning sickness may be due to the hormonal changes in the body.The stomach empties slower than usual due to hormonal changes.Nausea and vomiting may be aggravated by emotional stress and fatigue.
Morning sickness is usually severe during the first trimester and later subsides.Some women have this throughout the pregnancy .A lucky few do not experience this at all!
In rare cases,this condition may be so severe that it affects the food intake of the woman and hence she becomes under nourished and dehydrated and is not able to gain weight.This condition is called hyperemesis gravidarum.
There is a misconception that if you experience morning sickness you are likely to miscarry!This is however not true and the presence of morning sickness shows that the pregnancy is proceeding in the right direction.The only time to be alarmed is when you have hyperemesis gravidarum and at that time don't hesitate to consult the Doctor.
How to combat morning sickness:
The main point to be remembered is that morning sickness will usually pass off after the first trimester.Even though it is an unpleasant experience, it is a happy reminder that you are pregnant...
- When you get up, eat a small piece of toast or a cracker.Dry foods tend to lower the incidence/ frequency of morning sickness.
- Take adequate rest.
- Some women find certain smell displeasing even though those smells did not affect them earlier.Anyways, if those smells are intolerable avoid them if they aggravate nausea.
- Do not take any medication on your own.The Doctor may prescribe some tablets that are safe for you and the baby in case the condition gets worse.
- To avoid getting dehydrated keep a bottle of home made ginger- lemon juice.Sip a little once in a while.
- Avoid spicy , oily and heavy foods.These take a longer time to digest and hence may aggravate the condition.
- Similarly avoid being on an empty stomach for a long time.Keep nibbling on some food stuff often.It is wise to eat 5-6 small meals a day.
- Snack on high protein foods.
- Some women find smelling on a piece of freshly shaved ginger / lemon reduces the nauseated feeling.
- Others find acupressure / acupuncture techniques helpful.But be sure to consult your Doctor before you start anything.
4.Urinary frequency : The uterus increases in size and the kidney is processing more fluids so that's the reason for frequent urination.It may also be because the body begins producing a hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG).
Some women experience urine leeks when they cough , sneeze or laugh.This may be due to the fact that the uterus as it grows in size to accommodate the foetus,presses against the bladder.This situation usually changes after the first trimester when the uterus grows out of the pelvic cavity.
How to cope up :
5.Breast tenderness : The increase in the production of hormones - estrogen and progesterone causes changes in the breasts.The breasts may feel heavy, sore or there may be a tingling feeling.The body is now gearing up to feed the baby once it is born.
- Urinate as often as needed.Don't skimp on drinking fluids and don't hesitate to go to the rest room as often as needed.
- If urine is with-held for longer duration, it will lead to urinary tract infection.So empty the bladder once you feel the urge.
- You a pantie liner in case there are urine leaks.
How to cope up :
- Use a supportive bra which is made of a soft breathable material.
- Some find that a hot bath relives them of the problem while others prefer to use an ice pack.
- Do not take any medication to relieve you of the heaviness without consulting the Doctor.
- Talk to your doctor / health educator if this problem persists and you find it hard to cope up with .
There is still more to read.Do come back again....
Disclaimer : This is not a medical advise.In case you have some doubts / persistent health issues please talk to your Doctor...
This day That year...
2010 - Hummus , Coconut fruit smoothie and Kolokythakia Tiganita - Batter fried Zucchini.
2009 - Wheat Rawa Idli
Labels: 365 Days Of Healthy Living