This category has been silent for longer than intended.Finally I had time to actually sit and write this post.Today we shall see the changes that take place in the body during pregnancy.
From the time of conception,even before you really realize that you are pregnant, the body undergoes several changes .When I say changes, I am going to talk about the changes in the mothers body and later in my next post will deal about the changes the lil one undergoes inside mommy's tummy from conception till birth.
Pregnancy typically lasts for 40 weeks counting from the first day of the woman's last menstrual cycle.This duration is divided into 3 parts which are called Trimesters.During each trimester the body undergoes certain changes.Changes are not only physical as the pregnant woman may experience some emotional changes too.
1.Fatigue : Most women feel tired than usual during the early days of pregnancy / first trimester.This may be due to the hormone levels that are raising in the body preparing you for the motherhood. The other reasons may be that your body is producing more blood to carry the nutrients to the fetus.The heart tries to cope with with the extra blood flow and quickens the pulse.The body also changes its way of using the nutrients like carbohydrates, water, protein , fat etc and all these together compound to the fatigue you may experience.
Apart from all these stuffs going on inside the body, emotions too play a role in causing fatigue.Certain feelings like how to accommodate the new born into the family / caring for it / looking for a care giver / do you need to continue the job now and later after the baby is born / anxiety of labor / concern of the expenses that will be incurred / your health post delivery etc, may cause more worry even though you and your partner may be over joyed at the prospect of being pregnant.These feelings , worries and concerns are quite normal even though you have planned the pregnancy and it shall soon pass off.
How to combat fatigue
Exercise is one way getting the energy back.Exercise does not mean working out in the gym for a few hours. A small walk around your house will do.If you don't have the stamina to walk during the first few months of pregnancy,just take it easy.You can always go for a walk when you are feeling better.Please remember to consult your Physician before you start any exercise ,even if its walking.
- Try to take rest as much as possible.If you are working take a few days off or work from home.
- Don't feel shy or ashamed to sleep for long hours or be in bed the whole day.Feeling sleepy in the first trimester is only natural as your body requires the rest.
- In case you can't take a few days off work be sure to get back home straight from work.Avoid shopping / partying after work hours as it will increase the fatigue and you will feel worn out before you reach home.
Eat the right amount of food with the right nutrients.In other words, a well balanced diet is essential.Though you may not feel hungry try to eat as nutritious as possible.Fatigue will be accentuated if you are anemic.Discuss your diet with your Doctor or Dietitian.
Avoid drinking too much of fluids after dinner.This will disturb your much needed sleep as you will have to make frequent trips to the rest room at night.During the day it is wise to drink a variety of liquids to keep yourself hydrated especially if you are prone to the vomiting that occurs in the first trimester.
2.Headaches and Dizziness : For some women, dizziness may be the first symptom of pregnancy.The uterus swells and it compresses arteries in the legs. This drops the blood pressure and make you dizzy. Other reasons may include hunger, stress and fatigue.
The frequency and severity of the headache will vary from person to person.It may not be experienced by some!
Headaches and dizziness may be due to the circulatory or hormonal changes in the body.But if it is persistent it is always wise to consult the Doctor.So if there is a migraine like headache that does not reduce in intensity and there are frequent fainting spells don't hesitate to rush to the hospital.
Though headaches and dizziness is common during pregnancy, head ache / dizziness followed by vaginal bleeding / severe abdominal pain may be related to ectopic pregnancy.Ectopic pregnancy is a condition where the pregnancy takes place outside the uterus and it is a life threatening situation for the mom and medical attention has to be sought as soon as possible.
Also see the Doctor if there is blurring of vision accompanied with headache.
How to combat headache / dizziness:
If the headache and dizziness is due to the normal changes that take place due to pregnancy here is what you can do...
There are several more points to be discussed.Since this post is getting lengthy, I will continue the remaining in the forth coming posts so be sure to check back...
- Try to reduce stress in your life.Though this may be hard, its one of the ways to reduce the frequency of headaches.
- Relax in a quite place with your eyes closed and think of something nice or someone you love.If you know 'yoga nidra' practice it.[I will write about this in a later stage]
- Eat well and get the required sleep and rest.
- If you cannot cope up with the stress in your work environment, talk to your senior or your colleagues and try to find a solution.During this period friends and subordinates will be more considerate than ever.
- Do not take pain killers or any other medications to relieve you of head ache.Even though it was safe for you to have taken them prior to pregnancy, it may not be safe now.Certain medicines causes damage to the lil one inside the tummy.Be sure to ask your Doctor for medication before you take them.
- If you feel dizzy while getting out of bed or when you stand up after sitting for a long time, try to do it slowly.That is, rise from bed slowly.Sit on the cot for a few minutes before standing up.
- Maintain your blood sugar.Low blood sugar also causes dizziness.Keep some snacks / dry fruits and healthy snacks handy to overcome low blood sugar.If you feel dizziness is due to low blood sugar immediately pop in a candy / chocolate.
Disclaimer : This is not a medical advise.In case you have some doubts / persistent health issues please talk to your Doctor...
Labels: 365 Days Of Healthy Living