Last month a few of us got together to run a Blogging Marathon which went on for one whole month.This time round,Srivalli chose to make it less tiring and decided for one week of blogging marathon and with a theme.We have 27 bloggers joining us this time!Each one of us have chosen a theme.So be sure to take a look at their posts as well :).
Azeema,Bhagi,Champa,Gayathri Anand,Gayathri Kumar, Harini, Jay, Kamalika, Meena, Mina, Padma, Pavani, PJ,Priya Mahadevan,Priya Suresh,Priya Vasu, Rujuta,Santosh, Saraswathi, Savithri, Shanavi, Smitha,Sowmya,Srivalli,Suma,Usha,Veena
Now for today's post....
After much thoughts and changing themes constantly[in my mind, of course],I have settled upon 'Chaats' as the theme for this weeks blogging marathon.Who can say no to these delicious and tongue tickling road side treats.As much as I love chaats I am a little wary to eat them outside.Most of the chaats like bhel,papdi chaat etc are served raw / cold.Which means there are more chances of falling sick if the food is not prepared in a hygienic way.So I always make them at home.I have already posted around half a dozen chaat recipes in my blog and this week I am going to explore other variants as well.
Srivalli has announced Kids delight this month with the theme- Street Food.What is more satisfying and pleasurable than preparing these tasty and healthy, not to mention hygienic, treats at home for the little one!
You may also be aware that I am hosting Flavors of Maharasthtra.Chaats are an integral part of the Mumbai cuisine and it gives me chance to try many flavors from this awesome cuisine as well.
So for all these reasons,you will be seeing 7 yummy chaats that can be prepared easily at home...
Now,enough of all the talk,on to the first recipe of the marathon.This post has two recipes actually.Batata vada and vada pav.Prepare one recipe and serve as two different dishes!How good can it get!
Batata vada is synonymous with the south Indian Potato Bonda.Vada Pav / Wada Pav is what we can happily call the Indianized burger.Crispy vada sandwiched between soft buns with spicy garlic/ mint/ coriander chutney. Prepare it for a snack or as a breakfast, it is very filling.Kids will surely love this one.
Let's first see the Batata Vada preparation
For coating batter:
Besan / Chickpea flour -1 cup
Rice flour-1/4 cup
Baking soda- a pinch
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Salt to taste
For the potato filling:
Potato- 2 large, peeled and boiled
Ginger,grated- 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Red chilli powder- 1/2 a teaspoon
Mustard- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Oil for deep frying
- Take the ingredients mentioned under 'for coating batter' in a large bowl.
- Add water little by little to make a paste of coating consistency.Keep aside.
- To prepare the filling,heat oil and put in mustard, ginger and curry leaves.
- When the mustard splutters add onion and saute till soft.
- Add the chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Crumble boiled potato and add to pan.Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat.Let it cool.
- Divide the potato filling into small portions and make balls.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Put the potato balls into the prepared batter and make sure the filling is fully coated.
- Drop these balls in hot oil and fry in batches till it turns golden brown.
- Drain and serve hot
Batata Vada served with mint chutney and Lemon juice
Once we have the Batata vada ready, Vada Pav takes less than a minute to put together.Usually spicy dry garlic chutney is used.I used Mint chutney.
For Vada Pav
Pav buns / Laadi pav .You can also use the regular buns if pav buns are not available.
Enjoy with a cup of piping hot tea...
- Cut the pav buns into half [horizontally]
- Apply chutney on the lower half.
- Place a batata vada over it
- Top it up with the other half
How did you like the recipes for today?Do check in tomorrow to see what I have put together for the chaat series :)
Enjoy these chaats until then...
Aloo Channa Chaat
This Day That Year...
2010 - Cornmeal Dosa and Red Bellpepper Chutney
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Chaats, KJ, Miscbf, Potato, Snack Bar, Vegan varieties