Mother-in-law-[MIL]-What's that in your hand?
Daughter-in-law[DIL]-That's corn meal...
MIL-What are you going to do with it?
DIL-Try out some new dish I guess...
A few months later....
MIL-You got another pack of that corn meal?
DIL-No its the same one.
MIL-Any idea what you are going to do with it?
DIL-How about idli?
A couple of days later..
MIL-What's for breakfast?
MIL-What dosa is this?
DIL-Corn grits dosa... Is it ok?
MIL-[Takes a few bite and ...]Wow,its really good!!I did not expect it to be so good..Its nice,Maybe we should have it for dinner too,he[her son] would love this for sure..
DIL-[sigh of relief...] Sure lets have it for dinner too...
Corn meal dosa is for sure worth the praise for every bite.A healthy and tasty variation of the regular dosa.I got the idea for this dosa from here
The corn meal that I used was similar to wheat rawa size.
Like the regular dosa this batter too needs fermentation time but its worth the wait.
Corn meal-3 cups
Whole urad dhal[White]-1 and a half cups
Salt to taste
Serve hot with a side dish of your choice.
- Soak cornmeal and urad dhal in two separate containers for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Wash and drain the urad dhal and grind[in batches] to a smooth batter adding little water.[Too much water make the batter watery and the resultant dosa is not very good]
- In the final round of grinding the urad dhal add the corn meal and run for a few minutes for each batch.
- Mix the batter well,add salt and stir to mix.
- Let it ferment for at least 8 hours,preferably overnight.
- The volume of the batter would have doubled,stir well and adjust the consistency by adding a little water if required.The batter should a little thicker than pouring consistency.
- Heat a griddle and pour a ladleful of batter and spread it to a circle.[Drizzle oil if required.]
- Cover and cook for a few minutes till the edges leave the griddle.
- Flip it over and cook for a couple of seconds.
Labels: Dosa Varieties, Morning Raga, SI, Tamil Nadu Cuisine, Vegan varieties