Source - Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes
Rice -1 cup
Urad dhal – ¾ cup
Quick cooking oats – 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds -1 teaspoon
Ginger – 1” piece
Green chillies – 4
Salt to taste
1. Soak urad dhal with fenugreek in a container and rice in another for at least 5 hours.
2. Soak the oats in warm water just before grinding the urad dhal. .
3. Drain the water from urad dhal and grind along with ginger and green chillies to a smooth batter. Add a little water if needed but not too much. Remove it into a dish.
4. Drain water from oats and rice. Grind to a smooth batter with a little water. Put it along with the urad batter.
5. Add salt and mix well.
6. Let it ferment overnight or for at least 8 hours. It has to double in quantity.
7. Mix well once again.
8. Pour batter into greased idli moulds and steam till done.
9. Remove from mould and serve with a sambar / chutney of your choice.
Since it is winter here , the batter did not rise even after letting it ferment for more than 30 hours. Nevertheless , I made idli and they were good but had to be consumed immediately.So I served my folks sambar idli –.A simple but absolutely yummy dish.All you have to do is cube the idli and immerse them in a bowl of sambar. Garnish with a little coriander leaves and drizzle a teaspoon of ghee over the submerged idlis. Delicious!!!
The same night [yea , I made it for dinner- poor lighting, that’s why the clicks are not so good] I made dosa with the batter and the dosas were a hit !
Also see the other recipe posted today - Purple Cabbage Rice with Paruppu Podi , another recipe from Priya's blog.Priya,I have a cooked a lot more from your wonderful space.Will be posting them all :)