A few weeks ago, when we wanted to have out customary Sunday morning porridge, we realized that we were out of pickles. Hubby sighed and 'wished' he had some to go with the porridge. I rummaged the contents of the fridge and got a large knob of ginger and thus was born this instant pickle. I have made two batches after that one.
Ginger -200 grams [Use tender ginger to avoid a fibrous pickle.Mine was not so tender.]
Red chilli powder-2 teaspoons
Oil- 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds-1 teaspoon
salt to taste
- Roughly chop the ginger and grind it as smooth as possible.Do not add water.
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard and curry leaves
- When it crackles, add the ground ginger and salt.Mix well.
- Cook on medium flame for 15 minutes or till the raw smell goes off.
- Cool completely and transfer to a clean, dry jar.
- Store in the fridge for a longer shelf life.
This pickle goes well with curd rice, Chapathi , porridge.
This Day That Year...
2008 - Five posts in a day!
1. Curry Leaf Powder
2. Curry Leaf flavored Rice
3. My Kitchen Buddies
4. Yiner Hangzao Lianzi Geng - A super healthy Chinese cocoction
5. Hash Browns
Labels: Pickle Recipes, Pickles, Sun Dried / Preserves