One way or the other,dishes world wide are linked by with each other..Similarities are found in each cuisine that makeI hav us say 'Hey! that looks like our dish,just a few changes and its our own....'.So When I found 'Bing' in China I was like 'How did Chapathi land here!!! I call 'Bing' the Chinese Chapathi and love its delicate flavor which comes from the spring onions.They in turn love our 'Parotta' which they call 'Feibing'.Translated it means 'flying dough'!!!!They seem to have coined this word from the method of preparing the parotta where the dough tossed and flipped which seems like the dough is floating / flying. Our parotta is so famous there that many have asked me if I can make it and if I say 'Yes' they are like 'You know to make Feibing!!Wow!!You must be a great chef!!'.I don't know if I am great but Parota is something so common that I don't know what fascinates them about it!
Very simple method turn a routine chapathi /Parota into an exciting meal.I have seen the method of preparation of Bing and they seem to use a lot of oil just like our Parottas being soaked in a lot of oil.I have made it healthier by omitting the oil and using whole wheat flour instead of All purpose flour / Maida.
I used :
Whole wheat flour -3 cups + for dusting
Spring onion-1/2 a cup or more,finely chopped
Cumin seeds-1 teaspoons
Chilli power- to taste
Salt to taste
Serve with a side dish of your choice.
- In a small bowl mix spring onions,cumin and red chilli powder.This is the filling.
- In another bowl put in wheat flour and salt and add water little by little to make a smooth dough.Knead well for a few minutes.
- Pinch a golf ball sized dough and flatten lightly.
- Place a teaspoon of the filling and bring the edges together to seal.Flatten again and roll out into chapathis.Dust a little flour if needed.
- Heat a griddle and cook the chapathi till brown spot appear on both sides.Drizzle oil /ghee if required.
Spring Onion Parathas can also be prepared in another hassle free method if you feel that filling and patching up the chapathi where is splits is a pain.Put in all the ingredients in a bowl and make a dough.Make chapthis with this dough.So no stuffing and patching up....This Indian version of the Chinese Bing is off to Sandhya who is hosting Gobal kadai-Flat breads an event started by Cilantro.
Labels: Bread Basket, Cooking with herbs / flowers, Flatbreads, Herbs, KLBRoti, Morning Raga, Vegan varieties