Vegetable Kurma is the most preferred side dish for Chapthi / Poori /Parotta in South India. Each restaurant or household has its own version and each one is as tasty as the other.Here is my version of kurma.
Boiled mixed vegetables:2 cups [ carrots, beans, peas, cauliflower, corn, potato]
Curry leaves a few
Chilli powder-1 teaspoon
Oil- 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste
Grind to a smooth paste with a little water
Grated coconut -5 tablespoons
Cinnamon-1 small piece
Fennel seeds-1 teaspoom
Ginger-1/2 ” piece,chopped
1. Heat oil in a pan and put in the mustard, bay leaf and curry leaves.
2. When it crackles add the onion and sauté till translucent
3. Add the tomato and cook till mushy.
4. Put in the ground paste, chilli powder, salt and mix well. Add a little water if it is dry.[The color of the kurma will be pale at this stage.On further cooking the color will deepen.]
5. Cook for a few minutes till the raw smell of the masala disappears.
6. Add the cooked vegetables and water to get the desired consistency.
7. Simmer for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
Serve as a side dish.
Here is our favorite combo-Chapathi with Vegetable Kurma
Sending this delicious pair to Pari for the Combo event.
Labels: Rotisides, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side