The health benefits of Garlic are too many to enumerate.Scientists now wonder if its a spice / medicine / both!!!Here is a simple and tangy garlic gravy to go with steamed rice.
Garlic-20 pods [medium sized]
Tamarind extract-1 cup, thick
Mustard- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Curry leaves-a few
Salt to taste
Sesame seed oil/ Gingelly oil- 2 teaspoons + 1 teaspoon
Dry roast and powder
Coriander seeds- 1 teaspoon
Channa dhal-1 teaspoon
Toor dhal-1 teaspoon
Urad dhal-1/2 a teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds-1/2 a teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoons
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan and put in mustard,curry leaves and red chillies.
- When the mustard splutters add garlic and saute till light brown.
- Put in tamarind water and add turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Let it boil it it thickens a little.
- Add the powder and mix well so that there are no lumps.Simmer for 10 minutes.Stir once in a while.
- If the mixture is still watery mix a little cornflour /rice flour with water and add to the pan.
- When the garlic is soft and the desired consistency is obtained remove from fire and transfer to serving bowl.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil and cover till serving time.
- Just before serving mix and serve with steamed rice.
This delicious dish is for Think spice-Think tamarind event hosted here in my blog.Think spice is the brain-child of Sunita,which celebrates the uniqueness of spices in our kitchen.
Here are some more garlic based recipes
Spicy garlic spread
Labels: Better Half, Garlic, Kuzhambu Varieties, Sides for Rice, Vegan varieties