Sunday, 20 April 2008
Poondu Kuzhambu [Garlic Gravy]
Garlic – ½ cup ,chopped
Shallots /pearl onions– 1 cup ,chopped
Tamarind extract – 1 ½ cups [thick]
Salt -to taste
Chilli powder – 1tsp
Turmeric powder -a pinch
Gingelly /sesame seed oil – ½ cup
Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Asafetida – a pinch
Red chillies – 2
1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the seasonings – mustard, asafetida, red chillies and curry leaves.
2. Fry for a few minutes till mustard splutters.
3. Add chopped garlic and onions and sauté.
4. When they turns brown add the tamarind extract,salt and turmeric powder,chilli powder
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Stir once in a while and remove from heat when it turns thick.
This can be used with Plain rice,curd rice,idli,chapathi.
I had prepared a little extra and stored it in the refrigerator and I found that it tasted even better on the second day.There was a drumstick looking forlorn so I added that to the kuzhambu as well.After sautéing the garlic and onion add the boiled drumstick [cut into 2” pieces] and continue the remaining steps. Tomato can also be added instead /along with drumstick.