My recent love is Raw Mango.A few days back I picked up a couple of these and mom prepared some of my favorite dishes with raw mango.One of them is this gojju.This dish is extremely tasty when served with steamed rice and also goes well with Pongal.
Raw Mango - 1, cubed[Do not remove the skin/peel]
Thick tamarind extract - 1 cup
Turmeric powder- a large pinch
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Milagai Podi - 2 tablespoons
Jaggery - powder- 2 teaspoons [ adjust to taste]
salt to taste
Mustard seeds - teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 teaspoon
Urad dal- 1 teaspoon
Gram dal- 1 teaspoon
Green chillies- 2 , slit
Curry leaves- a few
Sesame oil- 2 teaspoons
- Heat oil in a pan and put in the seasonings.
- When they crackle and the dals turn light brown, put in the cubed raw mango pieces and saute for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the tamarind extract, half cup water, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder,salt and bring to boil.
- Simmer till the mango is tender but it should not get mushy.
- Dissolve the milagai podi in a little water to make a paste and add to the pan.
- Stir well to mix.
- Add the jaggery and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with steamed rice and pappad.
- This dish tastes best when prepared with sesame oil. But in case it is not available sunflower oil can be used.
- If you need a little spiciness, add red chilli powder in step 3.
- Usually a separate gojju pudi [powder] is roasted and ground for this dish.Milagai podi[side dish for idli / dosa] is somewhat similar to it.Since we always have milgai podi at home we use that instead.Saves a lot of time.
- This gojju tastes best when served the next day.So be sure to make some extra and store .
- Before taking off the gojju from heat, check for taste. If it is too sour add some water and simmer till it thickens. A little jaggery can also be added if needed. This dish must be a tangy with just a hint of sweetness.
- If the gojju is watery, dissolve a teaspoon of rice flour in water and add to the simmering gojju. Stir a couple of times and simmer till it thickens.
This delightful curry is off to Charita's ARS series hosted this month by Richa Priyanka with the theme Fresh fruit curry.
Other recipes with raw Mango....
Raw Mango Pickle
Raw Mango Chutney
Coriander Raw Mango chutney
This Day That Year...
2010 - Round up - A Fruit a month event hosted here with the theme - Kiwi fruit.
Labels: Better Half, Fun With Fruits, Kuzhambu Varieties, Sides for Rice, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side