Chapathi is one of our favorite dinners and making varieties of them gives me a real pleasure to watch the family munch them happily. With healthy side dish to go with them and you are sure that the family is on the right track to health.
As for Lil angel,this was the first food that introduced to her after idli.On our visit to Mysore last year, my aunt made those super soft and fluffy chapathi and Lil angel fell in love with them immediately. Ever since her love has not dwindled!
Today's recipe is a healthy chapathi variety. It is colorful and has vegetables sneaked into it and of course has a light masala flavoring. This is a dish where picky eaters can’t find out what went into the chapathi yet enjoy the taste of it.Even if they find out that it has veggies,I don’t think they will mind!
Whole wheat flour-2 cups + ¼ cup for dusting
Grated vegetables like radish,carrot,cabbage
Finely chopped spring onion [greens and white],coriander leaves
Turmeric powder-1/2 a teaspoon
Cumin powder-1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala-1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds-1/2 a teaspoon
Salt to taste
1. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Add water little by little and knead to a smooth but slightly stiff dough.
3. Let it rest for half and hour.Knead again for 5 minutes .
4. Pinch out golf ball sized pieces of dough and roll out into circles.Dust a little flour if required.
5. Heat a griddle and cook the chapathi till golden spots appear on both sides.Drizzle oil if necessary.
6. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Serve with a curry / salad of your choice.
Grains[Wheat] when combined with pulses[Kala channa] form the complete protein and hence better utilized by the body.A salad[carrot] with it compliments the meal making it all the more colorful,flavorful and nutritious.
This mildly spiced and nutritious breakfast is being shipped off to to Srivalli's Wholesome breakfast event.Hope her kids enjoy this meal!
Labels: Bread Basket, Flatbreads, KLBRoti, Vegan varieties