There are times when I plan to prepare a dish but end up with a different one. One such dish is the here today. Initially I planned to prepare some mushroom gravy and as I was grinding the masala ,I noticed a closed vessel. One look into it told me to change the menu plans for the day for I had totally forgotten that I has soaked kala channa the previous day.
Not to be deterred, I put back the mushroom and made kala channa gravy with the masala originally intended for the mushroom! I have already posted a kadalai kuzhambu recipe here, but his one is a little different.
Kala channa – 1 cup
Red chilli powder- 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves a few
Tamarind extract-1 tablespoon, thick
Salt to taste
Grind to a smooth paste with a little water
Coconut-3 tablespoons, grated
Fennel seeds/saunf/ sombu -1 teaspoon
Ginger-1” piece, chopped
Garlic-2 cloves, chopped
1. Soak kala channa overnight and pressure cook it with a fresh batch of water the next day. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard and curry leaves.
3. When it splutters put in the onion and sauté till transparent.
4. Put in the tomato and cook till soft.
5. Add the tamarind extract,red chilli powder,salt and ground masala. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
6. Put in the cooked kala channa and water to get the desired consistency.
7. Simmer for 10 minutes and remove from heat.
Serve with steamed rice / chapathi.
This goes to JFI fennel hosted by Siri ,an event started by Indira
Labels: Kuzhambu Varieties, Rotisides, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side