This is one of my fav breakfast dish.When I am not in a mood to prepare this at home,I get it from the restaurant.This week though,Puttu and kadala curry was prepared at home.
These two will go to WBB series started by Nandita of saffron trail,now hosted by Aparna under the title WBB-Grains in my breakfast
Kadala Curry will see its place at Lucy's Third helping for My legume love affair started by Susan
Processed rice flour-2 cups
Coconut-1/2 cup grated
Salt to taste
- Take the rice flour in a big bowl and add salt and mix well.
- Sprinkle water a Little at a time and mix such that the flour resembles breadcrumbs.
- In a puttu steamer alternate coconut and flour starting with grated coconut
- Steam for 15 minutes or till done[You will know when its done from the wonderful aroma that wafts around the house]
- Serve hot with kadala curry or sugar and banana
Puttu can also be prepared in the same way with roasted wheat/Ragi flour.
The puttu steamer is a pot with a cylindrical tube to put in the flour.The water boils in the pot and the steam cooks the puttu.If the puttu steamer is not available,it can be placed on a iddli steamer [Don't press the flour into the mould] and steamed.In case iddli steamer is not available put the flour into a vessel[Alternate coconut and flour] and steam it in any steamer and cut into squares and serve.It will taste just the same.
Some people like to steam the puttu with sugar and coconut and have banana as side dish.I prefer it with kadala curry.
For Kadala Curry:
Black channa-1 cup
Grated coconut-1/4 cup
Coriander powder-2 teaspoons
Chilli powder-2 teaspoons[adjust to taste]
Turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
Tomato- 2, chopped
Curry leaves and coriander leaves
Salt to taste
- Soak black channa overnight.
- Drain and pressure cook with enough water till done.
- Drain the remaining water and reserve.
- Grind coconut,chilli powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder,ginger and garlic to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard and jeera.
- When they splutter add the sliced onion and saute till brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, curry leaves and cook till tomatoes are soft.
- Add the ground paste ,salt and cook till the raw smell disappears.
- Put in the boiled channa and add the reserved water .
- Adjust the water till you get the gravy consistency.
- Let it cook on slow heat for a few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with Puttu,Chappathi or rice.
Labels: Miscbf, Morning Raga, Vegan varieties