'Totally uninspiring'-that's what I would call my kitchen venture today.I was in no mood to cook but had to coz 1]I didn't want to be chucked out of RM with just a few days to cross the line and 2]I was hungry..
I dragged myself to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator.It was overflowing with veggies and fruits but nothing sparked.I randomly selected a few veggies and without any clue of what I wanted to prepare started chopping them.I had no idea of what veggies were going into the dish so clicked a shot so that it may come in handy in case the final product turned out to be fit enough to eat.
What did I want to cook?Chinese fried rice?Briyani?Pulao?Just plain fried rice?Mmmm,Lets see...
I used :
Cooked rice - 1 cup
Mixed veggies - a handful each,finely chopped
Tomato-1 finely chopped
Green chilli - 1 slit
Coriander leaves to garnish
This is what I did...
Removed from fire ,transfered to a serving dish and garnished with coriander leaves.The result looked liked this....
- Spread the cooked rice on a plate.
- In a microwave safe bowl,I put in carrots,peas,beans,cauliflower,cabbage and sprinkled enough water and cooked the veggies[covered] on medium power for 8 minutes.
- Heated 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan[used the stove top] and added jeera
- When it spluttered,added chopped onion,garlic and grated ginger,green chilli,sauteed till onion turned translucent.
- Then put in capsicum and sauteed for 2 minutes and put in the tomatoes.
- Simmered and cooked till the tomatoes turned soft.
- In went the cooked veggies,mixed well.
- My mind was still not set to what I was going to do..So I refused to put in the soya sauce that was on the kitchen counter.
- I felt the green chilli was not spicy enough for the amount of rice and veggies used so I added 1 tablespoon red chilli powder and mixed it to coat the veggies and sprinkled a little water and cooked for a minute.
- What's next?Put in the salt,rice and mixed with all the things in the pan and let the flavours blend..
Why did I call it fusion rice,u might ask..It has fusion in method of cooking-microwave and the stove top.It is a 'non mixture' of cuisines..Neither chinsese[no soya sauce],nor briyani[no masala paste added],neither pulao or fried rice..I was not sure if this had a name..How else do I called it!!!!
Coming back to my lunch time-I was hungry by then and took a little of my experiment and slowly tasted a spoonful..Mmmmmm..it was piping hot and tasted really good.There were more veggies when compared to the rice and the tomato was juicy and u can see that from the color of the rice.
I went to the kitchen took some more and had a second helping as well and kept a little bit for hubby dear.He tasted it bravely and then seemed to like it coz he asked ' Is that all u have left..?I wish u make this more often'!!Wow isn't that a compliment!!!
Sending it over to Srivalli's Rice mela
Also in the rice mela...
Check out my team mates on RM # 2 day 26
DK 2) Siri 3) Srivalli 4) Ranji 5)PJ [That's me]6)Curry Leaf 7)Medha 8)Priya 9)Bhawna 10)Raaji 11)Ruchii
12)Anu 13)Kamala 14)Roopa 15)Divya Kudua 16)Rekha 17)Divya M 18)Lakshmi 19)Raaga 20)Lakshmi Venkatesh 21)Sripriya22)Viji 23)Kamalika24)Pavani25)Karuna26)Roochi
Labels: Green Peas, Rendezvous with Rice, Vegan varieties