There are days when I want something elaborate for dinner. If I am not in a mood to prepare something elaborate then I prefer something delicious but should just take away just a little of my time.On one such day, I prepared this.I cooked this Aloo Mattar in the microwave,so this is very quick and a nice side dish to go with Chapathi / Roti.
Potato - 1 large,peeled and cubed
Frozen peas - around 200 grams
Onion - 1, chopped
Tomato - 2
Ginger garlic paste- 1 teaspoon
Thick yogurt- 1/2 cup
Coriander powder- 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder- 1 teaspoon
Garam masala - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
A little yogurt and chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Blanch tomato. Cool and puree. Keep aside.[the puree I made was a little chunky as we like to bite into little bits of tomato in the dish. You can also use store brought tomato puree]
- In a microwave proof bowl, put in cubed potato and add a little water and microwave on high for 8 minutes or until 90% done.
- As soon as its done,add the peas to the potato,cover and let it rest inside the microwave for a couple of minutes.
- In another microwave proof bowl, mix together oil and cumin seeds and microave on medium for 1 minute.
- Add ginger garlic paste and microwave for another minute.
- Next put in chopped onion and mix well.Microwave on high for 2 minutes or till the onion turns translucent.
- Put in tomato puree, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt.Mix well.
- Return it to the microwave and cook for 5 minutes, stir at the end of 3 minutes and add a little water if the mixture is dry.
- Add the potato and peas along with the water used to cook it.[Take care not to make it too watery].Microwave for 5 minutes or till you get the right consistency and the potato is fully cooked.
- Add curd and mix well.Microwave for 2 more minutes and let it stand inside the microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Serve garnished with a swirl of yogurt and chopped coriander leaves.
- To make it more delicious, deep fry the boiled potato cubes[on the stove top] before adding to the tomato puree mixture.
- Fresh cream can be used instead of yogurt.
- Add a couple of teaspoons of cashew paste/ powder in step 7 for a rich and creamy gravy.
- Fresh peas can also be used
- A little bit of Kasuri Methi [Dried fenugreek leaves] can also be added a minute after adding the curd in step 10 .
- The cooking time will vary with the MW brand / voltage and the quantity of ingredients used. So adjust the timings accordingly.
Sending this to MEC- Pot Luck Party
hosted by Srivalli @ Cooking 4 All Seasons whose event is celebrating its 4th anniversary and to Subzi's for Roti
hosted by Radhika @ Tickling Palates.
This Day That Year....
2010- Tamatar Ka Shorba
- Indian Tomato soup - Microwave Version. Incidentally, I made this post for Srivalli's MEC event themed Potluck party which celebrated its 3rd anniversary last year......
- Pachai Payaru Kadaiyal
/ Green gram gravy - A taste from Kongunad....
- Ell Urundai
- Delicious sesame balls.
Labels: Green Peas, Microwave Magic, Potato, Whoz on my side