Tender coconut water is actually the liquid endosperm . It is a nutritious and wholesome beverage that comes straight from nature. It is low in calories - 17.4 /100 grams.
It has a numerous health benefits. Some of them are listed here...
- It keeps the body cool
- Improves digestion.
- Quick source of energy
- Promotes the healthy functioning of Thyroid gland
- It is an effective oral re-hydration liquid.
- It has some organic compounds that promotes growth
- Application of tender coconut water on the skin prevents prickly heat rashes, summer boils and subsides the rashes / boils caused by chicken pox measles etc.
- It is said to kill intestinal worms
- It checks urinary infection
- It is an excellent tonic to fight malnutrition
- Maintains the optimal fluid level in the body.
- Prevents osteoporosis.
- Effective in the treatment of kidney stones
- In emergency cases, tender coconut water is used intravenously.
- It is a urinary antiseptic and eliminates poison in case of mineral poisoning.
Coming to the nutrient side we see that it is
- Low in carbohydrate
- Is 99% fat free
- Low in naturally occurring sugar
Once while browsing Prathiba's blog, I saw this recipe and had bookmarked it. After a long time I made this last week and served it to Lil Angel. She seemed to notice the different way of serving the tender coconut water but drank it anyway.
The name Bonda juice is quite intriguing. For those who are familiar with the snack 'Bonda', it may sound very funny. But this term comes from the Tulu language 'Bonda' which means tender coconut.
The meat found inside the tender coconut has more water and is gel like. As the coconut matures the constitution changes.
Tender coconut - 1
- Bore a hole and drain the water.
- Break it open and scoop out the tender meal.
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon[Use only if the tender coconut water is not sweet enough]
- Blend all the ingredients for a couple of minutes. There should still be bits of coconut meal in the juice.
- Serve immediately.
This was quite different form the usual way we drink tender coconut water.
This goes to Srivalli's Kid's delight , hosted by Kamalika with the theme Cooking without fire for kids.
Check out what my friends are cooking for the 8th Edition of Blogging Marathon, an event started by Srivalli....
This Day That Year...
2010 -Kothamalli Podi | Coriander - Lentil Spice Mix