Kothamalli Podi | Coriander -Lentil Spice Mix | Coriander Chutney Powder

Srivalli of Cooking 4 all seasons has chosen My Diverse Kitchen for this months Tried and Tasted,started by Zlamushka ,who passed it on to Lakshmi of Kitchen Chronicles.

My diverse kitchen is authored by Aparna and her blog is a treasure trove of recipes,Indian and continental.Her clicks need a special mention.I regularly hop over to her blog to drool over her recipes and her clicks and when it came to selecting a recipe from her kitchen I was really stumped.So many to choose from.Since I am frantically packing for my return trip,I thought I can use some spice mix.I had a bunch of freshly harvested coriander leaves from my backyard and turned it into Aparna's spice mix.

A South Indian household can never been seen without a few jars of spice mixes and I am no exception.I love all forms of spice mixes and have small jars of them for the 'rainy days'.So this one too shall join them :).I just left out one ingredient -jaggery-from the Original recipe .Otherwise I have used the exact measurements as mentioned by Aparna.It tasted so good when we had it with steamed rice drizzled with sesame oil.Yum yum....

I used:

Fresh coriander leaves- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed
Urad dhal-1/2 a cup
Gram dhal / Channa dhal- 1/2 a cup
Red chillies-5
Tamarind-a small marble size
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Salt to taste

  1. Heat a pan and put in all the ingredients except coriander leaves and salt.
  2. Roast till the dhal turnd brown.
  3. Turn off the heat and put in the coriander leaves and saute till it releases a fine aroma and wilts.Transfer the contents to a plate and cool.
  4. Grind along with salt to a coarse powder.
  5. Store in an air tight container and refrigerate.

Aparna says it goes well with idli and dosa like our good old Milagaipodi.I am yet to try it this way.




This is also being sent to Back to basic event hosted by Aqua,conceptualized by Jaya and to Nupur's BB6-Potluck edition.


Bon Appetit...

Labels: , , ,