Chinese Spicy Potato Shreds

I prepared this easy breezy vegetable dish for the 4th day of Blogging Marathon  .Owing to my craze for cookbooks, I got 3 cookbooks in Chinese for RMB 10.Though I cannot read the language,my friend Ju helped me out here and I wrote them all in English as she translated them.

This recipe is from one of those books. I do not know if they are available online. The book is called - Yingyang chao shishu roughly translated as Vegetable dishes, which has around 90 recipes to cook different vegetables. You can catch a glimpse of the book here.

The cuisine in the region where I stay is very mild. I have rarely seen a spicy dish. The dishes though mild have a spicy dipping sauce with vinegar and soya sauce.If you prefer the spicy version you can always go in for the spicy dipping sauce or satisfy yourself with the soyasauce / vinegar. This dish is from a province that serves spicy food, a place in the Miao and Tujia minority region.If you recollect, we have a restaurant called Awashanzhai here where we get spicy and delicious Chinese vegetarian food. A real boon for us!You can read more about the region,its delicacies and specialties and about the restaurant here and here.

I love to have this dish at the restaurant but it is served way too oily.This recipe that I made from the book uses minimal oil and tastes just as delicious.



I used :

Potato - 1 , large

Red chillies - 8
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 teaspoons
Spring onions greens [chopped] to garnish

  1. Wash and peel the potatoes.
  2. Cut them into very thin strips [matchsticks] and keep them submerged in water till ready to cook .Drain water just before use.
  3. Break the red chillies into small pieces , shake out and discard the seeds.
  4. Heat oil in a wok.When it starts smoking, put in the red chillies and turn down the heat.[ Be sure to open the kitchen windows and switch on the exhaust]
  5. Immediately add the drained potato shreds and increase the heat.
  6. Add salt and mix.
  7. Cook , stirring continuously, for a couple of minutes or till the potato shreds are almost done. They should still have a light crunch.
  8. Remove from heat and serve garnished with spring onion greens.



Note:


Check out blogging marathon page to see what my fellow marathoners are cooking this week.

If time permits, take a look at the post I have updated in my Travel Blog -The Wild Goose Pagoda in the ancient city of Xi'an, China....

This day That year...


2010 -Read the review of the Healthy Heart Cookbook and try out a tasty Bing - Chinese Spring Onion Parathas.


Bon Appetit...

Labels: , , ,