Here is a soft and delicious idli that is a treat for diabetics that I promised yesterday.This idli made of Quick cooking Oats , corn grits and wheat rawa has a lower glycemic index when compared to the regular idlis.
I used:[For this quantity I got 10 regular sized idli and 12 mini idlis]
Corn grits -1 cup
Quick cooking oats - 1/2 cup
Wheat Rawa - 3/4 cup
Curd - 2 cups + extra if required [or 1 cup water +1 cup curd]
Mustard - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Gram dal - 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few, finely chopped
Eno salt -1 teaspoon
Oil- 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste
You add color and health to this idli by adding some grated carrot, green peas to the batter.
- In a bowl take corn grits, oats, wheat rawa,curry leaves.
- Add curd to make a batter similar to idli batter.If the curd is not sufficient add water.
- Heat oil in a small pan and put in mustard, cumin and gram dal.When it splutters and dal turns brown pour into the batter.Mix well.
- Just before steaming add eno salt and mix gently.Check for salt and add if needed.
- Pour batter into greased idli molds and steam till cooked for 10-15 minutes.Check if done by inserting a knife / tooth prick.If it comes out clean the idli is done.
- Remove from mold and serve hot with a side dish of your choice.I served this with Flax seed chutney powder
You can also try Soya corn grits dosa that is a healthy variation to the regular dosa.
Check out the topics and the marathoners for this week....
Diabetes Diet/Management: Srivalli, Champa, Harini, PJ
Kid Friendly Recipes: Kalyani, Shylaja, Veena
Seven Days of Soup:Usha, Sowmya
30 Minutes Meals: Priya Suresh
Seven days of Cakes: Anusha
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Idli Recipes, KLBIdli, Morning Raga, Oats, SI